Photo by NEC Corporation of America with Creative Commons license.
Android’s global dominance has increased significantly over the last few years. It is the platform of choice for many organizations the world over. So whether you are an employee, IT Management or a business owner, it’s probable that Android’s Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) program is impacting your daily work life or will soon. In fact, Gartner has labeled EMM as disruptive to Windows 10 desktop management. EMM is offering considerably better user experiences and productivity gains. Therefore, we aim to learn more about it and what are the key features making it so appealing.
WHAT IS IT?
EMM is a software that empowers organizations to allow employee use of mobile devices and applications securely. In addition to addressing security concerns, EMM software helps employees to be more productive. IT administrators can provide workers with the applications and data they need to perform their specific work-related tasks on mobile devices. EMM is made up of several components, each segment growing in scope as it developed over the years. These areas include user profile administration, device enrollment, application management, and security.
ANDROID EMM BENEFITS
Android evolved to better support the Enterprise space. Now, mobile is eating the desktop. They removed the restrictions of costly error-prone management systems, complex architecture, and poor user experience. This new generation of EMM is a productivity breakthrough.
- Android Enterprise Recommended is a Google-led program which defines improved manufacturing standards for enterprise devices and services. The program follows best practices and determines official requirements, strengthened by rigorous testing so you can confidently deploy Android in your company.
- Google Play Protect is Android’s has built-in malware detection system keeps your devices, data, and apps safe. Additionally, it actively scans devices continuously ensuring the latest in mobile security updates.
- Enterprise security features include download restrictions by policy and user roles. This means the set of applications users can download depending on what position they have. Furthermore, blacklists can be defined, so specific websites can easily be blocked. Security governance includes a wipe command which executes a factory reset the device and destroys all data with it.
- Comprehensive device management provides a range of policy controls over the device. There are personal and business user options. Companies now have much more flexibility. There is the option of using full device control with only a work profile. Additionally, advanced settings can allow users to use their personal apps and keep their data separate while the company provides a work profile on the device.Many organizations have a history of letting users bring in their own devices by implementing a BYOD. However, Android’s EMM will allow for setting up a work profile that is independent of outside apps. This means the employee can switch over to their personal profile when not working and maintain their privacy and personal apps on the same device used at work. If an employee leaves or if a phone is lost, it is easy to remove company apps without impacting personal files. Employers are happy because there is much less liability. Employees are happy because they enjoy the convenience of a managed device and have less responsibility for managing device settings while keeping personal files intact.
- There is a massive selection of device options and OS configurations. From affordable phones for communication to ruggedized tablets for the most demanding of environments, there’s an Android device built just for every niche. Consumers enjoy having more choices from the global proliferation of the platform and competition for market share.
- The end user experience is considerably improved because of application management adding silent install capability. This means no IT service or any manual intervention is required. App settings can be remotely configured and pushed to devices. Chrome can be updated to have default bookmarks added for each employee group. Cost saving policy enforcement is made possible, by such disabling data roaming as an example. This granular level of control takes away much of the tedious work employees had to do in the past. Convenience and productivity levels are exceeding all previous experiences.
This attractive feature is a special function providing a way to deploy devices dedicated for a specific purpose. Deploy KIOSK mode for a particular employee or customer-facing scenario. EMM admins control the lock screen, status bar, keyboard, and push apps and updates remotely while restricting the safe boot function.
Admins control what apps are visible. They define services or apps working but not accessible to end users. Configurations can be updated so new apps can show up as needed. Companies have a basic branding ability and able to set company logo and background images.
Android EMM now offers a better integrated EMM solution with intuitive admin interfaces, flexible security options, and new app management features.
Google and vendors alike are taking Android enterprise seriously. Enterprise Recommend devices are getting higher and longer support plans. Plus, Recommended Services are from vendors that are trained, supported and monitored by Google.
Wherever your organization sits in the EMM story today, you currently have an opportunity to find the devices and service to suit any budget with a comprehensive system to manage it all.